Ask the Veterinarian/allergies

Question
Hi, I have a 2 year old dachshund who has a terrible time when the pollen comes out. Even though it is winter, we are in a southern state where it gets warm and the trees bloom again and drop pollen. Because she is low to the ground, she basically wallows in it, and is always sneezing, rubbing her snout and biting her feet. I could not afford some routine allergy regiment like shots etc. What can I do to help? Also, one ear always gets excess wax and it has been cultured and it has no bacteria or infection...allergies?

thanks

Answer
You can keep her indoors as much as possible and wipe her with a wet washcloth every time she comes in from outside.  That will help remove surface pollens and helps to prevent excessive exposure to the pollens.  You can start a low dose steroid regimen, which keeps the skin from overreacting when she is exposed to pollens.  If your vet can get a new allergy drug called APOQUEL, that would be the best thing for her.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf