Ask the Veterinarian/Dog

Question
QUESTION: My Dog, Male, has started passing a strange colour of urine.
It is yellow like an egg yolk.
And slightly thick.
What do you think is wrong.

ANSWER: With no history available,tentatively I would consider this as a case of Urinary tract infection if the symptoms are short term.Otherwise rule out conditions like diabetes/cushing's syndrome.

QUESTION: My Dog has only one Testicle.
Will he be able to successfully sire pups.
Also will it affect his prey drive and hunting ability and attitude.
He was late to sexually mature and didnt lift his leg to urinate till 11 months.

Answer
You may please find out whether this is a case of unilateral cryptorchidism.Cryptorchidism is when one or both testicles fail to descend into the scrotum. This condition is a fairly common problem, seen in dogs, cats and other animals. This is a well-documented genetic trait. Animals with this condition should not be bred.Animals that are cryptorchid may still be fertile, especially if unilaterally (one-sided) cryptorchid. This condition is more common in some breeds, but seen in all breeds and is passed on from father to the male offspring.In addition to the heritability aspect, the testicle/testicles that remain in the abdomen are more prone to cancer or torsion.

A trans abdominal ultrasound may be helpful to diagnose the condition whether this is a case of unilateral criptorchidism or some kind of developmental deformity.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand