Ask the Veterinarian/dog with cancer

Question
Hi my dog has cancer. he has a large mass in his rib cage. The vet has told me the mas is to big to operate on as he is only a little dog. He isn't to poorly at the moment just the lump showing on the side of his body. My question is that he has started to eat the ash from my log burner, will it hurt him and why is he doing this, any more advice would be very welcome, he is on no medication from the vet.

thank you

Answer
The ash eating is merely a symptom that your dog is more ill. Until this is resolved, do block access to the log burner so he will not eat the ash. Also, begin now to feed him a raw meat and pureed vegetable diet as carbohydrates can "feed" the cancer.

I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your dog can actually recover from this cancer, and definitely will not suffer side effects like the ash eating. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you. Many practitioners are members of only one or two of the organizations, so you do need to go to every site to find who is near you:
1. Wide range of other treatments: holisticvet.co.uk, www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org.   
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like):www.bahvs.com, www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com.
3. Chiropractor - www.animalchiropractic.org
4. TCVM (Acupuncture and Chinese medicine): www.qiacademy.eu , www.IVAS.org, www.iavh.org, www.aava.org & www.TCVM.com
5. Herbal - www.VBMA.org

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau