Ask the Veterinarian/hearing loss in a poodle

QUESTION: What can be done to reverse a hearing loss in my 12 year old small poodle that seems to have been brought on by the use of Mometamax?
Can using it more than 10 days cause a problem?
Can an ear drum be punctured by the long tip if used incorrectly?
If the bottle is not shaken and then used for several days- can that contribute to a hearing loss and why?

ANSWER: Mometamax contains gentamycin, which can affect the hearing of some susceptible dogs.  Usually, just stopping the medication will allow the hearing to return in a few weeks.  You really cannot puncture the eardrum with the applicator and shaking it up is a good idea, but it has no effect on the gentamycin.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for the previous reply. It is much appreciated.
It has been a month since the last treatment and his hearing has not improved.
The pharmaceutical sheet included inside the box says to use the medication for 7 days but if the medication was used for 10 days or more- could it have contributed to the loss of hearing?
What is the maximum # of days this medication can be used without causing a serious problem?
Can you recommend a Vet Ear Disease specialist in the Los Angeles area?
Is there a more high tech otoscope that a specialist may have access to that could better diagnose his hearing disability and/or a treatment or a reversal procedure that could perhaps help him regain some hearing?
Is a saline flush helpful?
Thanks again.

Dr. John Angus wrote a chapter in my Ear Diseases Book.  He is as good as it gets when it comes to ears.  Here is his address and phone.

Dr. John Angus
Animal Dermatology Clinic
150 North San Gabriel Boulevard, Suite 400
Pasadena, California 91107
Phone: (626) 577-8181

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus