Ask the Veterinarian/pregnant cat

Question
hello,this is about a pregnant cat.she is a stray. I want to find out about her diarrhea.I don't think she is gaining weight she still looks thin and I wonder if the diarrhea is causing this?Also she drinks a lot of water first she would drink the water I put in a bowl for her but now she prefers to drink the water that my spider plant is siting in. Is this normal Is it harmful? I wonder if it could be her diarrhea or her pregnancy causing her to drink so much water.she is eating a great deal but she shows no signs of weight gain Is the diarhea preventing her from gaining weight? will this harm her kittens?How is she going to feed them if she doen't gain weight?Also.how can I tell if she has worms?Can this be causing the diarrhea?
Thank you.

Answer
From symptoms, it seems that the delivery is soon approaching.Anyway keep watch on the diarrhea.It could be along with pregnancy where there is greater demand for nutrients,the reason for low body weight.Other parasitic conditions like worms,giardia etc can be a valid reason for diarrhea since the animal is stray.One cannot rule out bacterial and viral infections in this case.Mal-absorption diseases like EPI and  diabetes also have to be ruled out.A CBC,fecal sample flotation for worms and protozoans,bacterial culture and tests for viral diseases may be considered if the symptoms persists.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand