Ask the Veterinarian/sleepy dog

My husband and I moved into a much larger home about 10 days ago. We have a 2 year old german shepherd mix who of course moved with us. We were living in a condo with no backyard and it was quite small. We now have much more space (and much more work to do!) and our dog finally has a yard of her own- even though its not fenced yet so she is on a tie-out when she is out there for short periods of time, or we walk her around the yard on a leash. Anyway, we have noticed since we've moved that she seems tired all the time. Her appetite is the same, she is going to the bathroom outside, and she is interested in playing in small doses. But we can't help but notice she is just much more sleepy than ever before. Is this something we should be concerned about? Maybe having so much more space is mentally draining her? There really isn't any other symptom other than tiredness, but for our dog is quite strange since she normal is very energetic and playful. Maybe theres just a lot of changes in routine for her and mentally the move has been tiring for her? I just wonder how long we should blame the lethargy on transition from the move and when we should start thinking about bringing her to the vet for this. What do you think? Please let me know if there's any other information that might help you.  Thanks so much!

Pretty hard to know what would cause this other than stress. Moving is much more stressful for animals than it is for us because they run their lives based on home territories, nesting instincts, etc. Even our domestic, spayed or neutered pets have some of these instincts still so being taken from her original home "territory" can be very stressful.

I would be concerned if she were having trouble breathing, or playing for longer periods or walking on long walks. You might want to have the vet give her a quick look over anyway, and make sure her vaccinations are all up to-date because she might have more unwanted visitors.

Make sure her heartworm prevention is also up-to-date and that she has been tested recently.

I would have the vet really listen to her heart as well. Any dog under five that suddenly only plays in short doses would worry me.

So that's what I would do if she were my dog. hopefully she is fine but better to know than not know.
Please let me know what you find out.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.