Ask the Veterinarian/wolfworm in cat

Question
I put turpentine on my cat the hole got smaller but how do I know if the worm is out

Answer
It is possible to remove the wolf worms from your kitten  on your own at home, but it is not recommended for several reasons. The wolf worms body can rupture during the process, which could lead to a severe or even fatal allergic reaction in the cat. In addition, there may be more wolf worms inside of your petís body that cannot be seen. In some cases, wolf worms might migrate to the catís brain or other organs  and they can lead to diseased organs, severe intestinal problems, and complications like anemia. Because of this, itís best to leave the final diagnosis and treatment to a vet.
As far as application of turpentine at the wound site is concerned,the smell of turpentine will bring out the worms which are lying superficially,this being an insect repellent.But too much of irrigation with turpentine is not recommended,since it is very irritant to the fresh tissues around. Also some worms lying internally,or in ducts  may not come out.You may please check out for any more lumps on the adjacent  areas of the skin near the wound which could be other predilection sites .The vets opinion is final in this regard.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand