Ask the Veterinarian/Bluish cat skin

Question
My cat was attacked by (we think) another cat a few weeks ago. A chunk of fur on her neck/back area was pulled out in the scuffle and there are 2 what we think are scratches there. They seemed to be healing but I recently noticed the skin in the area was a bluish colour. Could she have an infection or should I wait to see how she does?

Answer
A bluish color can indicate blood.  It could be that you are seeing some veins under the skin causing the blue color. Sometimes pigmented skin will appear bluish, too.  In wounds, the skin often pigments as it heals and the hair coat in that area will be a different color.  I doubt that there is infection.  That would cause swelling and pus is usually a yellow/green color.  If you are worried, let the vet take a look and give you an opinion.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf