Ask the Veterinarian/Cat peeing blood clots

So I was with one of my cats, who is around 2 years old, in my room and I noticed that he had been sitting in the litter box for a long time. I went over to him and it looked like he was just sitting there. I started petting him, and I noticed that his body was moving, like he was straining to go to the bathroom. When he finally got out of the box, I noticed a small drop of what looked like blood. It didn't look liquidy though. It was thicker. I fed him some wet food since it was time to feed him and after he ate, he went back into the litter box and tried to pee again. This time he was not in there for long, but when he was finished, there was more blood. I think they could be described as clots of blood. When I scooped it out of the box, there was not a lot of pee. It was like he only peed a few drops and that was it. I don't know what to do. Could you help me?

Hi jessica,
When a cat is passing blood clots in the urine and straining it is most often a symptom of bladder irritation. There are various reasons for the bladder to be inflamed or irritated and the symptoms shown can be due to feline lower urinary tract disease.
It may be be due to bacterial infections, bladder stones, tumors, trauma, and even bleeding disorders.Sometimes the inflammation occurs for unknown reasons. This is  termed as  feline idiopathic cystitis. In the case of feline idiopathic cystitis , the symptoms will usually resolve on their own in a few days whether treatment is done or not.But the cat will be uncomfortable meantime.If the symptoms are aggravating there is likelihood of  bacterial infection and will not resolve on its own.So it would be  wise to have your vet evaluate your cat to rule in or out the possibility of infection.If the infection ascends, it can interfere with the kidney function.

If you are unable to get veterinary care , you will have to encourage increased fluid intake as much as possible. Frequent offerings of water and  adding liquid to the wet cat food to make it as soupy as possible. There are no safe OTC medicines to decrease the discomfort. If he is getting lethargic or refusing food, you  will have to provide veterinary care immediately.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand

Large and Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, Farm Management,Preventive medicine

A Senior Veterinary Surgeon with more than 25 years’ experience in the field of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry. Mixed animal Practice that will utilize my skills in medicine and surgery, public health, client relations, and developing relationships within the community, such as humane society

Veterinary Consultant with Department of Animal Resources,Ministry of Environment,State of Qatar (Present). Animal Husbandry Department, Government of Kerala, India. Oakland's Park, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. Severnside Veterinary Center, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. Saud Bahwan Group, Sultanate of Oman. Trivandrum Regional Co-operative Milk Producers Union,Kerala,India.

BVSc & AH (Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry) 1990. College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Mannuthy, Thrissur, Kerala, India under Kerala Agricultural University. Certificates Of Accomplishments- Equine Nutrition- University of Edinburgh Principles of Public Health-University of California, Irvine. AIDS- Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia. General Environmental Health – EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Food Protection-EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Zoonoses:University of Minnesota-School of Public Health online. Food Safety:University of Minnesota-School of Public Health online. Occupational Safety and Health-EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Rabies Educator Certified -Global Alliance for Rabies Control. Animal Handler & Vaccinator Educator Certified -Global Alliance for Rabies Control. Wildlife Conservation-United for Wildlife