Ask the Veterinarian/My cats skin is turning blue-gray near his bite.

Question
About two weeks ago, our indoor cat Jynx snuck out of the house and was bit by a mysterious animal. We didn't notice the bite right away, but did feel a bump.
Shortly after noticing the bump, I insisted my mother take him to the Vet but she said it was probably just a fatty tumor.
A day or two went by and the Lump became visible as my Cat kept licking and scratching it (On his back)
The next day I took him to the vet and the vet told us it was a bite from another animal.
They said at his age they would need to knock him out and give him stitches to help him heal, but since he is a 17 year old cat... He may not wake up.

So the vet gave us Option one, which was, clean the wound with peroxide and then put the antibiotic ointment over it. (it was prescribed ointment)And also, a pill he takes by mouth for 2 weeks. He takes it crushed in his food or in the "Pill pockets," from the pet store.

And... Buy a collar so he can't lick it.

The healing has come along so great, its scabbing (which we want) and he doesn't seem bothered by it.

A few days ago, I noticed that all around the infected area, the skin is blue.
I was wondering if this is common, an allergic reaction?
Or what it could be.
Please get back to me as soon as possible.
Thank you so much.
-Megan

Answer
Actually this is very common. It's just the pigmentation coming in for the skin. If he had black hair there then the skin would be black but it looks more blue. If his hair was white, tan or red it might grow in white or pink and you would never see the difference.

Most likely it's from that. If it looks or feels swollen, red or discolored like pus or green, then the vet should see him again.

But it's probably just the color of the skin with no hair on it. Since I don't have a photo I can't definitely tell you.

It's just a guess at this point.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT