Ask the Veterinarian/fleas on bunny

Question
my albino bunny has fleas (I also have a cats and pet rats -- rats in cages) and has been scratching herself to the point of bleeding, mostly around her ears.  I am far from a vet hospital or vets who handles exotics.  Bunny World Foundation emailed me that Advantage over the counter for cats works for bunnies.  Is this safe, and is this true?  I have spread food grade diatumaceous earth in my apartment, but I know it takes a few weeks to get rid of fleas that way.  Is it also safe to apply diatumaceous earth to my bunny herself?

thank you very, very much for your kind assistance.

Answer
Hi Kathleen,
If your rabbit seems to have only a few fleas, the safest way to get rid of them is to use a flea comb.  Combing should be done daily.You can kill the fleas by dipping the comb in warm, soapy water. Rinse the comb thoroughly before continuing to comb.If you have other animals in your home, first try treating them with topical or oral products and use the flea comb approach for your rabbit. Usually, once you have eliminated the fleas on your other animals, your rabbit’s problem will go away as well.

Advantage® — Many top rabbit veterinarians have reported success using a kitten dose of
Advantage (imidacloprid). There have been some deaths reported, although the deaths have not
been directly attributed to Advantage. Advantage should not be used for very young (less than six months), elderly (six years or older), or compromised rabbits. It is also wise to remember that your rabbit may have an asymptomatic and thus undiagnosed condition that could make
Advantage a dangerous choice.

Hope this information helps.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand