Ask the Veterinarian/Rabies vaccine

Question
Hello,

We just adopted a stray cat. She's very sweet and loving but we don't know anything about her background other than she was living wild in a forested area for a few months before we decided to take her in. She has been spayed but it appears to have been done when she was a kitten as the scar is very small. The vet said she was about a year old and he gave her a rabies shot along with her other vaccines.

I am a little concerned because I have four children and we don't know the cat's vaccination history. I worry that she may have been exposed to rabies while out in the woods, and that it's possible she might develop the illness and then expose my family.

How long after exposure would a cat begin to show symptoms, and does receiving the vaccine an unknown amount of time afterwards offer any protection? Also, do you think it's likely that she's already been vaccinated given that she's been spayed? If she was spayed as a kitten, could she have been vaccinated at the same time or does the first vaccine have to be given later?

I guess I'm just looking for some information about how long I have to keep worrying about this.

Thanks in advance
Sarah

Answer
Hi Sarah,
I think that the kitten is already vaccinated during spaying.Even if it was vaccinated at an earlier date,a shot now would be considered as a booster only.So there is nothing to worry about in this regard.Do follow the vaccination regimen as advised by your vet.

You may please refer to the CDC guidelines regarding exposure to rabies. According to CDC,Ten days quarantine  period is fixed for observation of the  animals like Dogs ,Cats and Ferrets in doubtful cases of exposure. It also states that  the persons in contact with the animals should not begin vaccination unless animal develops clinical signs of rabies.So if it is more than ten days you are in possession of the cat and if it is healthy and fine, I think you can stop worrying about this.

Please follow the link for more http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/animals/domestic.html  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand