Ask the Veterinarian/sick kitten

Question
I just got a kitten about 10 weeks old and her eyes are very watery and gunky. She blinks a lot and sometimes wont even open her eyes. I keep wiping them with a warm rag but it seems its only getting worse. I was told by someone who claimed to be a vet tech that I could use children's pink eye drops on her and was wondering if this was true as I have some from my 6 year old from last year. Or what I can do to make her better

Answer
Hi Randi,

A simple cold to a serious illness could be the reason for your cat’s eye discharge.This may  include-Feline upper respiratory infections,Conjunctivitis (pink eye),Corneal disorders ,Watery tearing eyes ,and other eye discharge causes including feline infectious peritonitis, allergies, foreign bodies lodged in the eye, or third eyelid problems.
So it is always better to consult your vet, especially if things are getting worse.
You could try saline wash followed by pink eye drops two times daily at home if an immediate consultation with your vet is not possible.But I would recommend an early consultation to avoid any  irreparable damage to the eyes.

regards

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand