Ask the Veterinarian/Puppy help

Question
Hi! I have a 3 week old puppy that I have became increasingly concerned about. She is a fiest/springer spaniel mix, and the runt of the litter. She constantly sounds congested and almost always has small amounts of milk coming out of her nose. During nursing and soon thereafter, the rattling and snoring type sounds are the worst, although she has some sounds all the time. I am willing to seek vet care, however, she is still feeding from Mom every couple hours, and I'm afraid to attempt a bottle for fear of aspiration. She is obviously getting adequate nutrition since she is alive and just as active as her litter mates. They are starting to eat a little of Mom's canned puppy food, and she seems to be handling that ok. Any ideas what could cause this? Any info or advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for the wonderful service you provide!

Answer
Usually this happens to too greedy puppies suckling vigorously and the fact that they cannot accommodate the quantity of milk already in mouth,small amounts of milk may come out through the nostrils.  Aspiration is also possible in such instances.The chances of little bit of aspiration cannot be ruled out from the rattling sounds seen after nursing.Other possibilities of any anatomical variations (could be congenital),like cleft palate or oronasal fistula needs to be ruled out by your vet.If you intend to bottle feed the pup,use nipple with very small hole so that only little amounts of milk is received while suckling.

regards

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand