Ask the Veterinarian/Stray cat with diarrhea

Question
Hi!

I found a young stray cat a week ago, and he has diarrhea. Since my finances are really tight, I took him to a low-cost vet.  Unfortunately, this vet barely spoke English, and I was left with questions after our visit.  I was wondering if you might be willing to help answer them?

Without doing any tests, the vet gave my cat some kind of dewormer that he said would kill all the worms.  It looked like he was putting it in the cat's ear.  Do you have any idea which dewormer this might be?  

Will my cat need to be dewormed again or is one dose enough?

He also gave me Metronidazole. Is it better to give this to the cat right away or wait to give his body time to return to normal after the dewormer?

Do you know how long it takes after deworming and Metronadazole for a cat to be safe around other cats? I plan to leave him with my boyfriend and his cat when I go out of town next weekend.

Thank you so much for being here.

Answer

Without knowing the brand name or the product name I may not be able to elaborate on the dewormer used here.Metronidasole being an anti-bacterial/anti-protozoan is safe to be used in order to counter the diarrhea due to enteritis.The cat can always mingle with other cats once the diarrhea is stopped completely.

Regular deworming schedules are advised for cats and please do get details from your vet.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand