Ask the Veterinarian/vaccinations and neutering

Question
Hello I live in Indonesia on a small island with no vets around! Every now and again a free cat clinic comes to the island to spay and neuter the cats as there are so many. Two days ago I bought some vaccines and gave one to my boy cat then today took him to neutered then when I picked him up I mentioned about the vaccines and the vet said it was very bad and he might die. I'm really worried about him now and feel horrible for doing it. Is it likely he's going to get very sick? What should I watch out for? Any advice will be greatly appreciated thank you.

Answer
The primary thing about a vaccine is that it should not be administered in stressful situations.Other words,if you vaccinate an animal,some immune reactions are to happen in the body so as to bring a healthy immunity against the diseases vaccinated for. These immune reactions usually happens in the first few days of the vaccination. Any stress during this time is not good and may not bring about the desired effect for the vaccination.

The vet said it is bad since you put your cat to stress the very next day of vaccine by way of neutering.

Your animal may not necessarily become sick because of this,if he is otherwise healthy.What you need is to provide the same vaccine,one more shot,once he has completely out of stress from the neutering process and healthy. This can be after 3 to 4 weeks.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand