Ask the Veterinarian/Cat seems to have lost weight and is always hungry.

Question
Recently my 9 year old cat seems to have lost weight, in the past he's been described as a little bit over weight by vets, but now his waist seems like it's gotten a bit smaller. There's been no changes to his diet, it's the same as always, yet he seems to have lost weight and he's always whining for food. Him whining for food isn't anything hugely unusual, he loves his food and always has, but it seems he's whinging more lately, even when it hasn't been that long since he last ate. There's two other cats in the household and right now we're working on getting rid of a flea infestation that got pretty bad, I don't know if that would be part of it or not. I wormed him with a store bought worming paste in case of worms, no change though. Other than the increased whinging for food, he's been acting perfectly normal, same energy levels, pooping, peeing and drinking just fine. I would take him to the vet but I honestly can't afford it at the moment, as much as I wish I could, it won't be able to happen until I've managed to put some money aside for it. So at least some advice on what it could be would be helpful.

Answer
Dear Shannon,
It definitely looks like we need to see the complete blood profile of your cat along with Kidney, liver function and of course thyroid function to assess the health status. Mean while please keep me updated about this case.

regards
Dr Anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand