Ask the Veterinarian/My dog has an arched back

Question
Talyn
Talyn  
We noticed recently that when he gets up from laying down is back is arched and he moves really stiffly. Once he gets moving he seems fine until he tries to lay down. Last night he started whining/groaning occasionally when he was laying down. He is an 8 month old pit lab. We plan on taking him to the vet as soon as we can but I was wanting to know if there was anything I could do to help him in the mean time. When ever he cries it about breaks my heart.

Answer
This may be indicative of pain or discomfort. This requires  a veterinary examination so that the cause can be determined and treated. The hunched position is usually a sign that the  dog is experiencing abdominal pain or nausea.
There are numerous health conditions that can result in the pain and discomfort that causes a dog to appear hunched. Some of these conditions include gastrointestinal blockage, pancreatitis, kidney disease, bladder infection, bladder stones, constipation, viral infections etc. If your pet has assumed a hunched Posture, observing for additional signs of illness will help your veterinarian to rule out some of the conditions on the extensive list of causes.
Please check for swelling of anal glands and also constipation. In case of constipation you can try some laxatives like liquid paraffin for relieving stool for immediate results, and incorporating boiled pumpkin in diet for regular relief.

I cannot proceed any further since this condition warrants a through  veterinary examination.Hope this information is of use to you.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand