Ask the Veterinarian/Dog ate used feminine hygiene products

Question
My dog got in to the bathroom bin when we were out at work yesterday morning (it was slightly too full and ready to be taken out so she must have got the lid off and carried the liner downstairs) and my husband returned home on his lunch break from work to visit the dog, to find ripped sanitary towels/feminine napkins all over the living room. I was mortified when he told me, and feel very guilty.

The dog seems fine in herself. She has since thrown up twice (once yesterday afternoon, once this afternoon) and had three normal bowel movements (one last night, two this morning) - all have contained some of the white material. Is this a good sign that she is passing them naturally, or should we take her to the vet? She seems fine in herself and is still eating and drinking normally.

Thank you.

Answer
Dear Blake,

It seems like your dog will be all right.It usually takes 10 to 24 hours for the foreign body to move through.It is a good sign that it had vomited twice and passed stools thrice.So there may not be an intestinal obstruction to suspect.Other complication would be Gastritis, symptoms of which would be persistent vomiting,or Enteritis where there can be diarrhea.

So Keep watch on these three symptoms

Intestinal Obstruction: Often stop eating and appear depressed
Gastritis: Persistent Vomiting
Enteritis: Diarrhea

If any such symptoms are suspected please consult your vet.Otherwise OK.
Hope this information helps.

regards

anand  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand