Ask the Veterinarian/Dog -Clavamox

QUESTION: I took my 14yr old diabetic dog to a vets last Saturday who diagnosed her with a suspected UTI and prescribed 125mg Clavamox 2 x day for 7 days. Today Penny has no appetite and is not eating or hardly anything, one or two bites of kibble that's all today.  The trouble is she is diabetic for 4yrs now and needs insulin 2X day.  I cannot give her any insulin if she won't eat or I only give her a 1/4 dose the basal amount if she doesn't eat.  My question is can I or should I stop the Clavamox as I'm sure that's whats surpressing her appetite.  I She has been on Clavamox 5 days today.  I am so worried I might loose her if I can't get her to eat and also give her the normal dose of insulin.  Please can you advise. Thank you so much.

ANSWER: Dear Carol,
Yes indeed the antibiotic is suppressing her appetite.Being diabetic she will be prone for infections, especially UTI. Basic concept in UTI treatment is long term antibiotics so as to remove the chance for relapse. If we don't complete the full course, the infection might relapse and probably will not respond to the present antibiotics being used, ie the bacteria would have made some sort of resistance towards the antibiotic.This is why the long term strategy.

As far as your pet is concerned, you may stop the antibiotic since a course of 5 days is completed, as it seems she is not eating any thing. You may try some probiotics  so as to bring back her normal appetite.But keep a watch on the UTI.

This is just logical thinking based on the situation.Your Vets word will be final in this regard. Hope this information helps.

QUESTION: Hello Dr Anand,
Many thanks for your prompt reply.  I am feeling relieved after hearing your advise.  Could you recommend a probiotic that I could give to Penny.  Can I give her human probiotics or do I need to get a prescription from my vet especially for dogs.  

Thank you once again.

Hi Carol
Probiotics are the beneficial bacteria that live in the intestines and help control yeast and harmful bacteria, as well as helping with digestion and intestinal health. These friendly bacteria are destroyed whenever antibiotics are given, and can also be flushed out of the system if your dog has diarrhea. Probiotics given for two weeks or longer following antibiotic usage may help restore populations; probiotics given while taking antibiotics may help prevent diarrhea caused by the antibiotics (give probiotics at least two hours apart from antibiotics). Dogs that are under stress or that have digestive problems or yeast overgrowth may benefit from routine probiotic supplementation. You can use products made for dogs, or human-grade probiotics that you would find in a health food store.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand

Large and Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, Farm Management,Preventive medicine

A Senior Veterinary Surgeon with more than 25 years’ experience in the field of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry. Mixed animal Practice that will utilize my skills in medicine and surgery, public health, client relations, and developing relationships within the community, such as humane society

Veterinary Consultant with Department of Animal Resources,Ministry of Environment,State of Qatar (Present). Animal Husbandry Department, Government of Kerala, India. Oakland's Park, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. Severnside Veterinary Center, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. Saud Bahwan Group, Sultanate of Oman. Trivandrum Regional Co-operative Milk Producers Union,Kerala,India.

BVSc & AH (Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry) 1990. College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Mannuthy, Thrissur, Kerala, India under Kerala Agricultural University. Certificates Of Accomplishments- Equine Nutrition- University of Edinburgh Principles of Public Health-University of California, Irvine. AIDS- Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia. General Environmental Health – EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Food Protection-EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Zoonoses:University of Minnesota-School of Public Health online. Food Safety:University of Minnesota-School of Public Health online. Occupational Safety and Health-EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Rabies Educator Certified -Global Alliance for Rabies Control. Animal Handler & Vaccinator Educator Certified -Global Alliance for Rabies Control. Wildlife Conservation-United for Wildlife