Ask the Veterinarian/frostbite infection?

Question
Hello,

Almost three weeks ago a newborn puppy was brought to us (umbelical corde included) frozen  and thought to be dead. We live in the arctic and the temperature was around - 40. Long story short, we've been taking care of the pup since, she seemed to be doing quite well. Putting on weight, eating and sleeping well. The tip of her tail which had been blackened from frostbite now seems to be infected, I am quite concerned about this since I've read it could be wet gangrene. We have cleaned the area with boiled salt water (cooled) and applied an antibiotic ointment. She also seems to have a clear runny nose. We are in an isolated community accessible by plane only, no vet in town, and no pet medicine available unless ordered online. When we decided to try and save her, we knew it was a long shot. I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with this considering the fact that we do have much access to basic first aid for pets. She's recovered great so far considering the difficulties she has faced since birth... Thank you for your kind advice.

Answer
It could be gangrene and the treatment would definitely be challenging without hospital aid. If the infection gets into the blood stream, otherwise termed as sepsis,it will be dangerous.The line of therapy is intravenous antibiotic therapy and of course removal of the infected tissue to avoid sepsis.
I understand your limitation and would advise to start oral antibiotics so as to fight infection.Antibiotics like Penicillin,Clindiamycin,Cephaiosporins etc would be beneficial.But these are all prescription medicines.
The present nursing being given is fine, I may recommend  Metronidazole ointment/gel to be applied on the area, since the organisms causing these type of infections are mostly anaerobic.
I express my inability to go any further in this regard. Wish you all the best in your endeavor.

regards

Anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand