Ask the Veterinarian/Great dane

Question
My daughters great dane pup (7 mths old) seems sore almost everytime he gets up from resting.  He is tight, slow and limping.  He has not had a very active lifestyle till now, but now the pup has been put in my care and our lifestyle is very active.  But I know Danes have problems so just want to be on the safe side.

Answer
Dear Cathy, Sorry that I don't have much history for this to make a judgement regarding the great dane pup. Nevertheless from the limited symptoms you explained I tentatively suspect Hip Dysplasia,confirmation of which can only be made through vets examination and radiography.There are many other diseases which can cause similar symptoms like tightness, inactivity and lethargy. So I would suggest an appointment with your vet. Hope this information helps

Regards

Anand  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand