Ask the Veterinarian/Puppies blood in faeces

Question

I have 2 dogs, one a 4 month old bull terrier (11.5kg) and another one a 10 month old fox terrier mix (14kg).

Both of them from last week had some blood in their stools and the younger one even had some drops.

2 days ago, I gave them the worms tablets and the stools looks very much better now and today I did not find any blood drops.

A vet assistant friend of mine adviced that if they ate bones in a hurry that could have hurt the stomach and thus the blood and she suggested that that i can give them some enrotab tablets 50mg (1 for the 4 month old) and 2 (for the 10 month old dog) for 5 days.

What concerned me is that I read that these tablets can cause Contraindications: "Do not use in young or growing dogs (dogs aged less than 12 months (small breed) or less than 18 months (large breed))."

What would your expertise suggest?

Many thanks

Answer
since the blood has stopped, do not give the enrotab. there is no need. Have the stool checked in 3 weeks for worm eggs (by a vet or your friend the vet tech). In the future, I suggest testing to see if worms are there before giving chemical wormer as they can be a bit harsh. You can give garlic or other herbs for the just in case possibility.

Feed raw meaty bones (see my web site for more info) and fresh food, not processed.

The blood could have been from a bone scraping the intestines near the end of the colon, or parasites, or a stick chewed on, or anything else puppies get into.

Do not worry about blood. If you do see some more, feed a bland diet (cottage cheese, raw meat with no bones and 1 teaspoon of eggshell powder for Calcium for every pound of meat, eggs, garlic, no veges) for a few days.

Learn Reiki and you can heal a lot by yourself.
Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner offers this energy and the animal comes over to get it (or places her hands upon the animal), or it can be done from a distance, even around the world with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who began to eat again when their food was treated with Reiki. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Reiki is great to calm animals, relieve discomfort, and can deeply heal some problems in some animals.  

1. Great information on Reiki - http://www.reikicourse.org.
2. Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven www.brighthaven.org. Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals. http://www.animalreikisource.com/.

3. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), the following groups offer long distance, free, attunements.

a.   http://theholisticcare.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13,
b.   http://freereikiattunement.com/
c.   Christine at cbearse@earthlink.net, www.awakeningrainbows.com. To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.
d.   And a team of over 100 healers will send free healing energy until you say not to. Email Barbara at nancelot01@aol.com with your healing request, name of animal, species, color & age. In the subject say request through Dr. Chambreau

4. for a fee: www.ReikiBlessings.com offers many types of energy healing classes- search a bit to find the reiki ones or email them. Long distance healing and training is at www.animalhealers.homestead.com

check out my site for a lot more information on general health for your 2 dogs - www.myhealthyanimal.com

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau