Ask the Veterinarian/Trying to identify a mass inside my cat...?

Question
Hello!

Recently, my 6-year-old cat stopped eating and drinking and quickly seemed to go stiff from her hips to her tail. We brought her in to the vet, who took X-rays and ran blood work and eliminated constipation and UTI as causes. Rather, she found a "mass" between my cat's large and small intestines. Surgery was performed promptly and, thankfully, my cat is now home and on the mend. The vet calmed my fears that the mass might be some kind of cancer, but she never specified what it was and in my relief to see my cat feeling better, I forgot to ask! Now it's been about four days, my cat is improving every day, and I can't reach the vet to ask what the mass was (she's on vacation now).

I was just wondering if you've ever heard of anything like this? My cat is normally very healthy, female, spade and up to date on her shots. Are there sometimes just obstructive masses without explanation or is there something I should be cautious about in the future?

Thanks so much for your time!

Answer
There is no way for me to know what kind of a mass this might have been, since all masses vary from cat to cat. Masses are common unfortunately, and seem to be more and more common as the years roll on.

Many masses are benign, which mean they don't spread. Until you get a lab report back from your vet just take care of her and love her as much as you can.

It's good that your cat is improving. That's always a good sign.

I will pray that the results are negative for anything bad. There really isn't much you can do except feed a high quality diet and don't feed her grocery store food. That goes a long way in keeping them healthy.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT