Ask the Veterinarian/Anal Glands

Question
My male cat is 16yrs old and in the last 3 yrs has had his anal glands rupture 4 times 2 on each side.
Now my vet tells me he doesn't think it will ever happen again
since it has happened so many time.
Do the glands keep growing back or have they just ruptured so many time nothing will happen again.

He is to old for the surgery right now.

Thanks

Answer
The anal sacs are two small pouches located on either side of the anus. The walls of the sac has glands that produce a foul smelling fluid. The fluid is stored within the anal sacs, which release their contents to the outside through a small duct or canal that opens just inside the anus. The anal sacs are commonly called "anal glands" although this terminology is not accurate.

It is not very common for cats to have recurrent anal sac disease. However, some overweight cats have chronic anal sac problems. The anal sacs of obese cats do not empty well, thus these cats are predisposed to recurrent problems.

Some cats may benefit from an increased fiber in their diet. If a cat has several episodes of anal sac disease, and diet does not relieve the problem, the anal sacs can be removed surgically. Because your cat is not an ideal candidate for surgery, which requires general anesthesia,the vet probably did not consider this option.

So actually the glands are not the one which grows back,but the obstruction to the ducts due to many factors cause problems with emptying of the sac.This results in infection, abscess and rupture.

Hope you understand the situation. So I cannot provide a clear  answer whether the condition will recur or not.I would endorse your vet who had physically examined your cat in this case.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand