Ask the Veterinarian/Cat is limping, vomiting, meowing alot, acting strange

About a few days ago, we started noticing that our cat Smokey was acting stranger than usual. He's been meowing alot and limping more than usual, and vomiting. My cat is an old cat, he is 14, and he has always had a little limp, but since yesterday he can't seem to walk at all. He will try to walk, but then it looks like his back legs aren't working properly and then he lays down. Also he has started vomiting since yesterday. I have also noticed that he is vomiting weird as well. He is usually sitting and vomiting, but this time he was laying on his side and it looked like he was choking. His mouth was wide open and it seemed extremely painful for him. He has also been meowing all the time and we can't get him to stop. He just keeps meowing and meowing and we have no idea why. I read on the Internet that a reason that a cat keeps vomiting and limping is because of an infection in the leg or paw and one of the symtoms is not having an appetite. The only difference is that my cat still seems to have some sort of an appetite. My cat goes nuts when it's time to eat, but I haven't noticed him not wanting any food. Should we take him to the vet?

Yes, if you have not yet done it - go to your vet right away.
Also, please get in contact with an integrative veterinarian as soon as possible as they may be able to prevent euthanasia. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you. Many practitioners are members of only one or two of the organizations, so you do need to go to every site to find who is near you:
1. Wide range of other treatments:, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and   
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): and
3. Chiropractic and Osteopathic -; (they treat dogs, too)
4. TCVM (Acupuncture and Chinese medicine):, &
5. Herbal -

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)