Ask the Veterinarian/CHF in chihuahua

Question
Hello, I have a 6 lb. chihuahua who is 12 years old.. She was diagnosed this week with congestive heart failure.She is eating and drinking well and I am giving her Lasix and Enalapril.. My problem is that she coughs (hacks?) all day and all night... Is there something I can give her for the cough? She is not getting any rest and neither are we.Thanks for any help you can give me.... Have a nice day.

Answer
Dear Debbie,

The coughing or wheezing is due to the fluid accumulation or congestion, in the lungs, which increases the effort of breathing.If you notice a worsening in  cough or wheezing which affects  breathing, this may indicate that  heart failure is getting worse.A dry, persistent cough can also be a side effect of some medicines used in heart failure.Cough is one of the majpr side effects of enalapril. Also side effects are more likely when enalapril is given with other potent drugs, such as diuretics or drugs that act to relax blood vessels.

Hence I would suggest you to reassess the situation with your vet.

regards

anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand