Ask the Veterinarian/Chicken

Question
Is it possible for a hen to have an egg stuck inside her? If so is there anything that I can do for her. I have a hen who has a swollen underside. She is still eating and drinking but she stays away from the other hens. I now have her isolated from the other hens so that they do not bother her. Not sure if she is still laying eggs but will know in the next couple of days since I have isolated her to her own coop. Thank you for any advice you can give me on her.

Answer
Dear Dian,
When an egg gets stuck inside the oviduct of a hen, the hen is said to be "egg bound." If that is the case,  the hen will not lay eggs.There are many reasons including nutritional imbalances which can lead to this.What is required is a proper diagnosis of the condition. There are veterinary procedures available to correct the situation including certain medicines and also surgical removal of the stuck egg.

A vet will probably be able to help the best, but if you want to try some  methods yourself then you may be able to visually see a bulge, or feel that there is an egg there. If she is still walking about and relatively happy, then giving her some electrolytes will help hydrate and will also give calcium. Apply some lubricant to the area to help the egg exit easier and give her a nice warm area to relax for a while. If she is used to being handled and doesn’t find it too stressful then submerging her bottom area in warm water and gently massaging the area for about 30 minutes may help relax the muscles. An alternative to that would be a warm flannel held over the area. She needs to be kept warm and comfortable.

hope this information helps

regards

anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand