Ask the Veterinarian/Congested Cat question?

Question
Hi there. I have a male cat who is 9 yrs old and suddenly became congested this morning. He is sneezing & breathing weirdly. I've had him since he was a kitten and a few years ago he had an upper respiratory infection.

I used polyotic tetracycline powder to help him when he got it before, but now, I fear he's caught it again. Can you recommend anything over the counter for a congested cat? Do you think it is possible he has an upper respiratory infection again? Thank you.

Answer
Hello Susan,
Humidifier is the one that can be used at home, using hot water with olbas oil.
Steam treatment by running a hot shower with the door closed to get the room steamy and then leave the cat there for 5-10 minutes.you can do this few times a day.
If you have a baby aspirator it would aid to clear the nasal passage.The reason for the congestion could be either allergic or may be an infection,diagnosis of which requires vet examination.Ventolin inhaler can be used to ease the symptoms,but it is a prescription drug.
You can try saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist, two drops in each nostril to loosen the mucus and then wipe away.
OTC antihistamines can help.Chlorpheneramine is the generic name of the drug.A dose of 2mg one or twice a day will be ideal( Try Chlor-trimaton)

If the symptoms do not subside in 24 hrs,please approach the vets.

all the best and regards

anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand