Ask the Veterinarian/my dog

Question
I have a 3 yr old half maltese half chihuahua. Patches (my dog) has a "hump bear" who hes been humping on for a very long time but never did i see what i seen today.patches was humping his hump bear for a very long time & when he finally stopped hes penis was erected & looked very swollen it took a couple of mins for it to go back but not completely.what does that mean & is that normal for a neutered dog.please help me

Answer
Yes it's normal but really gross. I don't know why dogs do this any more than any other veterinary medical professional but they do.

It is normal, but you might want to have your doctor check and make sure that he doesn't have a retained testicle that could be causing this behavior.

If you owned him when he was neutered then contact the vet that did the surgery and ask if there was a retained testicle and if they were both removed.

The only other thing you can do is get rid of this "bear" so that he will stop doing this.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT