Ask the Veterinarian/My dog is limping

Question
QUESTION: A few weeks ago my dog started limping, I thought that he had pulled a muscle or something like that.But it kept on getting worse and now he can not even get up sometimes.It seems to be irritating him for his hip area and left leg,but we do not think he is in pain because he is not whimpering or whining.He is a 8-9 year old beagle,shih tzu mix.

Thanls

ANSWER: Dear Gabe,

We definitely need to diagnose the condition. My opinion will be to go for radiology of the hip so as to find out/rule out conditions like Hip Dysplasia,as beagle and beagle mix are prone to such diseases.So a veterinary consultation needs to be done ASAP.

I would recommend to start glucosamine/chondroitin/omega 3 supplement as supportive therapy.

regards

anand

QUESTION: Are there any other conditions that he could have besides hip Dysplasia
         Thanks

Answer
Yes Gabe, there are some degenerative diseases like intervertibral disc disease,muscular degeneration etc and even some viral infections may cause such symptoms.Beagle pain syndrome is another immune mediated disease.So a right diagnosis is mandatory to proceed any further.

Thanks and regards

anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand