Ask the Veterinarian/Dry skin in cats!

Question
Hello,my name is James,
I am inquiring about my cat Nicky who has dryskin on her back. She will be 14 in August. Her skin is also flaky and there are a few scabs. Most of her coat is shiny however except for her back. She has slowed down considerably (due to age I think) however she is still lively and chirpy and she still eats A LOT. She is also constantly grooming herself. I took her to the vet in 2011 due to the same issue and she was fine. Then, I just had a huge vet bill in 2013 ($350.00) because her skin was weird AGAIN and it turned out, after all the  blood work results, she was fine, she just had fleas and a skin irritation. I also just put my OTHER cat Noel down last Saturday (she was 13) and that was a 200.00 bill. I really don't want another vet bill for no reason with Nicky. She always seems the one with the problem, but she is always fine.
Do you think she is OK? And are there natural ways to treat this?

Answer
Dear James,

This could be a case of atopy, treatment of which is always challenging.There are certain drugs that reduce the symptoms to some extent in some cats and these can be worth a try – antihistamines and essential fatty acids are often used.
You may try this one out as a skin supplement
http://www.petnaturals.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=700866045

Hope this helps

regards
anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand