Ask the Veterinarian/Is this homemade diet ok?

Thanks for your time in reading this.

I am looking into feeding my cat a homemade diet (actually - I haven't got this cat yet, he/she will be adopted in the near future and I hope to start them on this diet so they get used to it. Will not be a kitten) and was hoping you could tell me if you think this is nutritionally viable. I live in a country where good quality cat food is hard to find, and the below ingredients are all things i have in the house anyway:

Daily diet of: Eggs, seeds (sunflower/seaseme/pumpkin), spirulina and either fish/meat/fish liver oil.

On days with no meat/fish, include beans for nutrients and carbs.

Include milk, broccoli, carrots and nuts on some days.

Use peelings and leftovers of some veg.

My plan is to blend (when used) the seeds, spirulina, beans and veg into a paste and then cook that with the eggs (and milk), to make something like scrambled eggs, and add cooked meat/fish or fish oils....this will keep in the fridge for a couple of days and will be the cats daily food.

My thoughts and questions:
 - Do you think this is ok?
 - I was thinking of including rice/oats/grains for carbs and some substance to the meal, but research suggests cats find these hard to digest and if there are other sources then best to use them?
 - Do you think a cat will eat this? I was thinking of crumbling some cat biscuits over the top for taste and texture (and also as they are fortified should help with vitamins&minerals), or adding cream (though conscious many cats are laxtose intolerant so don't want to use this every day), or cooking in chicken stock....but I would rather not use those. I was hoping that either the fish/meat or fish oil would add enough flavour?
- Would you recommend getting a blood test to determine levels as a baseline for a test in a month or so to see what effect this diet is having, or will it be ok to take one in a month or so?
- My plan is not to include any fruit, as internet research suggests that some fruits are dangerous and ones that aren't can be difficult to process. What do you think?

If you can only answer one question, please just tell me if you think this will provide a healthy and balanced diet?

Thank you,

I have many friends here in the US from Nepal, but none feeding fresh food at home, which is the VERY BEST - namaste to you to do this for your cat to be.

We need to dialogue more about this, so would you email me at

Your diet is not quit balanced, but I am not sure about a few things and will research for you but am on a plane waiting for takeoff right now so no access to my books. You are very close to a good diet.

Most important is to look on my site ( for the Early Warning signs and do a little physical exam when you get your cat and record your findings. You will know if what you are feeding is helping or not.

1. fruits are fine, if pureed.
2. no need for a blood test - they only measure severe illness.
3. No beans and no grains - cats will not eat that. 90% meat and the rest the blended vegetables =/-fruit.

MOre later when you email me as plane taking off.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)