Ask the Veterinarian/house training

Our doxie is going on three years old and still has problems wetting on the carpet in the house, sometimes once a day, sometimes once very two or three days. She is healthy and fit. I let her outside morning, early afternoon, late afternoon and early evening bedtime, and take her for walks, yet she still has frequent accidents. This is the second doxie we had that wasn't completely housebroken. I read some place that dachshunds are one of the hardest breeds to housebreak. I have talked to a couple other doxie owners who say their dogs were not completely housebroken. Is there any solution or do I have to live with this problem. Our carpet is old so we don't care as much as if it was new. We are thinking about replacing it with wood flooring as we dare not get new carpet if we keep our dog. Would wood flooring do anything to prevent this urine problem. Thanks.

I don't think that Doxies are any harder to housebreak than any other dog, but I know that if the owner isn't consistent, they are, as any other dog can be, prone to be lazy.

If she has these 'accidents' often, have you had her in to see the vet? Believe it or not, dogs a young as three can have bladder stones, which will make it very hard to hold urine.

She might also have a mild bladder infection, causing her to feel the need to urinate often.

So your first step should be to have her looked over by your vet. Have a complete physical done including urinalysis. You might want to suggest an xray as well, since a UA might not show that there are stones.

We have seen them in dogs as young as 7 weeks old. If the vet gives her an all clear on that front, then you need to address this a behavioral issue.

Having a carpet that smells of urine only makes the problem worse. She smells her urine in there and thinks it's okay to do it again.

It would be a good idea to get a really strong pet odor and stain remover or get your carpet professionally cleaned.
Then you can concentrate on her behavioral issues, because if she has no physical problems then that's what this is.

Consult a trainer about how to best retrain her to only go outside. Trust me, even a 3 yr old dog can be re-trained to be completely housebroken.

Uncle Matty's website at

Otherwise, contact a trainer close to where you live or ask the vet for a recommendation.
I wish you luck and a happy puppy!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.