Ask the Veterinarian/Need Advice Brushing Cat's Teeth

Question
Our 7 month old kitten (our very first cat) hates having his teeth brushed and fights us on every attempt. We tried proceeding very slowly to get him used to the idea, over many months as we had read to do, but we aren't getting anywhere. He was orphaned as a tiny kitten and was very sickly so he had to endure eye droppers of medicine for several weeks which he hated as well. So we are thinking maybe those early experiences left him not trusting us putting things in his mouth. He comes running when we take out the brush and toothpaste. Then eagerly chews the brush bristles with his side and back teeth which we hope is doing some good, but the front ones are not getting done at all. I spoke with the vet about it during his checkup last month and she checked his teeth and gums for any irritation, but said they were fine. Said some cat's just don't like having their teeth brushed so just don't worry about it. However, I hate the thought of him having to have cleanings down the road from us not doing our job. I would so appreciate any suggestions and/or tips you would be so kind to share to help us keep his teeth clean.

Answer
Hi Connie,
I know it's not easy to brush any cats teeth, but you are doing a great job starting young and letting the kitten experience it in such a way that it's fun for him.

The only other way that might help is to use a finger brush- but those really work better on dogs.

The sides of the teeth that are getting bristle work are the most important ones anyway, so really he IS brushing his teeth well by chewing on the brush.

The canines in front and the incisors are not the teeth that food sticks to, so they don't need much brushing at all.

They are now making greenies and other chewable treats for cats so you might want to try some of those as well.

When he turns a year old, you can put him on Hill's Oral food for felines and keep his teeth sparkling clean for years.

http://www.hillspet.com/products/ha-feline-adult-oral-plus-dry.html

This food is made specifically to replace tooth-rushing and it really works! I've done dentals on dogs on Hills oral dog foods that have had a 50% reduction in tartar and plaque buildup in 6 months time.

Hills foods are formulated for optimal nutrition as well, so your pet requires less food daily than other diets and it's extremely digestible, which means smaller, non-smelly stools.

I think you're doing a great job Connie. There isn't much of a way to improve on it.

Most pets are going to need at least one dental in their lives. I have a 13 yr old cat that has never had one but she's been on Science Diet since she was 10 weeks old and her teeth are remarkably clean.

So keep doing what you're doing!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT