Ask the Veterinarian/New puppy

Question
Hi Dr anand. I just picked up my new puppy yesterday from a breeders home. He is an 8 week old pug. We had to travel 3 hrs in the the car to get him home. He seemed in good spirits very friendly, and no car sickness. When home he was active and ate and drank. We have him on the same food as breeder. He was at the vet last week and some of the litter had a cold the breeder said, so they were treated with antibiotics. Also yesterday, I gave him a tiny chunk of dog treat that he chewed at, but did not take very much at all. I did not realize it was not suitable for puppies under 5 lbs and he is 4.6 lbs. this morning I took him out of his crate, he did not soil it all night set him outside he went pee and pooped a couple times. Poop was not runny. Brought him inside and then he vomited a small puddle on the floor. Clear yellowish not foamy. I took him outside an hour after he vomited and he had diarrhea this time. Stool still brown in colour. He is alert, slightly playful,but does not want to eat or drink. Is my puppy just stressed from change, should I be concerned? What would you recommend I do?

Answer
Dear Hayley,
These are typical  signs of gastroenteritis. Let's hope these are because of stress due to change in environment and feed.If that is the case these bouts of vomiting and diarrhoea has to  gradually sbside. But keep a watch on eating and drinking,and also whether the pup is dehydrated. If no positive signs of improvemrnt, seek veterinary aid immediately.
If vomitting and diarrhoea remain persistant, we shall suspect an infection for which veterinary support becomes mandatory.

Number of specific viral diseases  or non specific bacterial diseases in addition to stress, indigestion etc can cause similar symptoms.

So my advice to you will be to closely monitor the pup's behavior and heaith status and to act accordingly.

regards
anand  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand