Ask the Veterinarian/Old/New Cat Behavior

I adopted a new female cat ,Donut (fixed, age 4, tuxedo) on Saturday 2/28/15 and brought her home to meet my resident cat, Minimow (fixed, age 4, female, calico) who, at first glance hissed and growled and hid under our bed. So I let Donut out to get a feel for the new place while Minimow was hiding and everything seemed okay. After a while, Minimow came out of hiding and began acting aggressive towards Donut, hissing, growling, lashing out a couple times. Each time she was aggressive, I made a loud NO! noise and that made her retreat. Since then, I've had them separated by a closed door (Donut in my bedroom and Minimow in the living room). It's only been a couple of days and I've rubbed them both with towels and switched them and rubbed the other one so they can exchange scents. Also I've put their food on either side of the door so they can smell each other while they eat. Also, I have a scratch mat that's pushed halfway under the door so they can kind of play together without really knowing it. Like I said, it's only been a couple days but they're both now hissing and growling through the door at each other. I know that a little aggression is normal but I wanted to make sure I was on the right track with getting these two to get along. Thanks!

Hi Michael,
You are doing just the right thing for these two. It can take weeks for the hissing to settle down. It shouldn't ever come to a full-blown fight but my own cat tore into a female I adopted. Right after she was spayed my 11 yr old cat ripped her belly open.

Just let them keep getting used to each other slowly the way that you are. I didn't have that luxury and it probably caused a lot of the fighting.

Some cats are much more accepting of others as well. I think you are doing fine. Give them 3- 6 weeks and then the hissing should stop for the most part.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.