Ask the Veterinarian/Parakeet

Question
Hi my parakeet is probably around 1-2yrs old and she had been living in this small cage, I got her from a friend 6wks ago. I got a bigger cage 3days ago. I don't know if it's coincidence and I just haven't noticed but seems like now after couple days she wants to sleep a little more and is a little more fluffy more than usual and acts chilled from time to time. Her feet seem cool to me but she is talking to me still and eating and drinking good should I give her any particular food to boost her system or something? I put vitamins in her water 2 days on and 2 days off since I got her cause she has always been on seed. She has a cuttle bone also.  This is my first parakeet.

Answer
Parakeets are not only intelligent, but they have outgoing personalities and are very social. Parakeets adapt quickly to their cage and can be quite playful. They are very dexterous and are constantly on the go. To keep them happy and healthy they need a stimulating environment with lots of activities, including climbing areas and chewing toys. Because Parakeets are social birds that live in flocks in the wild, keeping more than one is important for their well-being. They will also form a close, loving bond with their human flock, and become a great friend and companion.
so the problem with your parakeet would most likely be psychological,ie change of human companion,environment and of course the cage.As it is talking to you, the health status seems to be fine,but keep watch on all other activities like feeding etc.I hope it would be all right in a few days time,getting adjusted to the new environment.

regards

anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand