Ask the Veterinarian/parakeet eggs

Question
My female parakeet lay 8 eggs on 2/14/2015 and this is the 26th day still nothing.What do I do they both stay in the nesting box all day,I though. they hatch by now

Answer
On average, Parakeets incubate their eggs for between 17 and 20 days. This can vary by a couple of days in either direction.
But here it has been for 26 days, is a spot of bother.Could be infertile eggs,I suspect.
Kindly consider some of the basics required for parakeet breeding and hopefully you will get a better result next time.
The male and female pair should be unrelated, free of any  birth defects and disease free, and should be at least 1 year old.
Minimum breeding space 20" x 20" x 20" and minimum nesting space 12" x 12".
The birds should be fed a varied diet consisting of seed, high quality pellets, and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Breeding pairs should be provided with a cuttle bone and calcium supplement to ensure proper egg development and to help the female recoup nutrients lost in the egg-making process.

Hope this information helps

regards
anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand