Ask the Veterinarian/pegons , doves parrots

Question
birds
birds  
Good day Dr
My doves are getting weak every comming day.nd I can see dark red poop in the cage of birds. I doubt that bird food I am using might not be right. Also if my dove dont get healthy they may die.this is first time that iam taling care of birds. Kindly seggest me things that I might be missing in terms of taking care of these birds. Attached is image of birds with food nd image of poop. Doves are thinner than they look in image. Nd we haven't given bath to birds of small cage since they were bought .. that is 3 months as it was very cold in winter

Answer
Dear mahreen,
Reddish droppings primarly suggest coccidiosis(protozoon infection) or can be round worm infestation, which are common in birds.Confirmation can be made by laboratory exam of the droppings.Spoiled food containing fungal growth can cause similar symptoms.Hence please get in touch with your vet to assess the situation ASAP.

Wish you good luck
Regards
Anand

Tips :Do not overfeed your doves and keep the loft clean and dry. Give them enough seeds for one day and do not give them new seeds until they finish all the seeds they have, including those on the dirt. This ensures that no old seeds remain and spoil. Old spoiled seeds harbor mold and bacteria that are harmful to the birds.
Give the doves clean water at least twice a day. Throw away the old water and replace it with fresh water. In the case of homing pigeons, give them water outside their loft to keep their loft free of moisture, which harbors bacteria and mold.
And don't forget to provide grit for your doves or pigeons to help with their digestion. You can buy grit at the feed stores and pet shops where you buy dove feed. A good pigeon mix that includes millet, wheat, safflower, and pop corn.
If the birds get diarrhea (green stools) or lice and mites, you can get over the counter medication at your nearest pet shop or bird shop.
Follow these tips, and your doves will live long, healthy lives! Some doves can live more than 20 years with good care.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand