Ask the Veterinarian/Rabies

Question
I had been seeing this young raccoon around our neighborhood out in daylight and just wandering around like it was in pain.  Yesterday it came into our yard where kids were playing.  It was trying to get to the house and even with a lot of people around it showed no fear.  It walked stiffly and it was confused.  Do you think this was Rabies?
   A neighbor got a gun and shot it.  The 3 shot did it and it did this crazy dance which was upsetting but the shooter said animals do that when killed with nerves.  Do they or was it still alive when it flailed all over?
    I took my dog for a walk in this very cold weather and it was very stiff and in pain for a couple of days.  How do dogs get Rabies?  He is OK now but do I have anything to worry about?

Answer
Most likely that the raccoon had rabies but now you'll never know. It should have been trapped and tested.

Hopefully all your pets are vaccinated for rabies. I hope that it didn't get too close to the kids. Rabies is spread by contact with the animals saliva or by being bit by the rabid animal.

Raccoons are notorious for getting and carrying rabies.
You really should have your dog updated on his vaccinations and contact your local health department about the raccoon being so close to the kids.

Better to be safe than sorry!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT