Ask the Veterinarian/si maio san

I have been treating my Cushingoid 11 and a half year old beagle poodle mix naturally with very promising results.  I have recently purchased si maio san, and am wondering if it can be baked into home made dog treats without rendering it ineffective.  His new diet is yogurt and cashews mixed with 10 drops of dandelion root in the morning, and his evening meal is completely grain free, usually Taste of the Wild mix of wet and dry, or home roasted turkey or chicken.  I would love to be able to bake the si maio san into treats for ease... what do you think...

I cannot give you an opinion about it because I have never used it. If it's an herb, then cooking it will probably take out most of the benefits of it.

Hopefully you are treating under a veterinarians supervision. Cushings is a very bad disease, and it usually takes some pretty intense medications to control it.

If what you are doing is working then great! I am all for alternatives, as long as they are not putting the animal's life in jeopardy.

You should consult with a herbalist about cooking the si maio san into treats.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.