Ask the Veterinarian/Treatment of ear infection in senior cat

Question
My 12 year old tortoise shell cat was seen by the vet yesterday to have a blood glucose check (she is diabetic) and I asked the vet to check her ears also because I suspected something was not right.  The vet reported she had an ear infection.  Her ears were cleaned and treated with Mometamax drops.  

The drops were given to me to be used once a day and I am to bring her back on the 30th for a re-check.  At this time, I have not yet used the drops because Chessie keeps shaking her head as though her ears are hurting her.  She also meows very loudly from time to time and sleeps a lot more than usual.  She has not eaten since before she visited the vet yesterday at 10 am.   Am I wrong to abstain from using the drops again?

Answer
Mometamax can have some serious problems if the eardrum is ruptured.  Ask the vet if the eardrum was intact at the time of examination.  If it is OK, then the steroid in Mometamax can soothe the ears.  But if the eardrum is ruptured from a polyp or a middle ear infection, then the genatmicin in Mometamax can cause either deafness, unsteadiness, or both.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf