Ask the Veterinarian/Vestibular disorder?

Question
My 14-year-old Norwich terrier ends up with an odd head tilt and balance issues every time he shakes himself. It lasts for only a few seconds, then he's fine again. The vet thinks this is probably just a mild case of so-called "old dog vestibular disorder." No idea whether it's likely to get worse over time, or might just go away on its own. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Answer
Hi Steve,
Looks like the initial signs of vestibular disease and If so, I am afraid the symptoms are likely to advance.(Please rule out other diseases like chronic mid ear infections,cleaning of the ears resulting in a perforated eardrum,trauma from head injury, use of some antibiotics  etc where we may find similar signs)
The treatment options for vestibular disease syndrome are just symptomatic, especially if it is idiopathic(unknown pathogenesis or apparently spontaneous origin)

A holistic approach in treatment would be beneficial according to my experience. You may try Homeopathic medicines if accessible.

Regards and good luck

anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand