Ask the Veterinarian/Advantage

Question
Hello Fr. Anand,

One day between Monday and Wednesday I gave my yellow lab her flea/and tick monthly treatment of Advantage. On Saturday she passed away.

I do not know how old she was since she was dropped off the farm over 5 years ago. She was pregnant at the time she was dropped off and had a litter of 5 puppies. I had her fixed and she received her yearly shots. She was due for her yearly checkup in July.

I did not take her in for an autopsy because of the weekend. But I am wondering if it is possible for her to have an allergic reaction to the Advantage. I am now scared to give the other dogs there flea/tick treatment because of this.

She was a little over weight but I never feed her table food. I only feed Iams green bag and dog treats. She ran a lot around the farm. Before burying her I did try and check her over in case of buck shot or snake bite but did not find anything.

I know you cannot tell me much since you cannot see her body but I guess I just want some reassurance that giving my other dogs there flea treatment will not hurt them. I am not ready to lose another dog so quickly.

Answer
Dear Suzie,
In my years of experience,I never came across causalities  due to advantage toxicity.Your labs loss may probably be due to other reasons,I presume. Though lot of forums in the internet discuss about toxicity for Advantage,they are not properly audited.
I have come across sudden death in obese to moderately obese animals,which were running long distances everyday,reasons being cardiac ailments.
I am not cent percent sure while saying this,You can always take a reassurance from your local vets before using Advantage on other dogs, since they w8ll be well versed with your local environment and geography.

regards and good luck

anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand