Ask the Veterinarian/My Boston Terier

Question
For the past month we have noticed that she broke out with little white blister, we tried oatmeal shampoo for dogs, and a spray for minor skin irritations and itching, both things seemed to not work at all, in fact got way worse now she is totally covered with the blisters, she will eat human food and drink water, and when she uses the bathroom it is normal, I hope there is something we can do for her, I really don't have the money to pay for a vet, let me know if there is anything I can do myself or tell me how serious it is and what I should do, thonks Regina Fultz

Answer
Skin problems, even severe blisters and itching like this, are actually a good thing. No dog dies from skin problems.  If the vibrational field is healthy enough to produce skin symptoms instead of more serious illnesses (diabetes, Cushing’s, etc) this is good.  Very importantly, think about anything that could have caused the initial skin eruption - a vaccine, new laundry detergent (avoid chemicals), new paint job or new furniture, chemicals sprayed on your yard or a community yard that was sprayed. since she eats people food (that is good), is it balanced? there should be about 60-85% raw meaty bones and the rest pureed vegetables (combination of cooked and raw) and calcium if you are not feeding bones that your dog actually eats rather than gnaws on.
Feed no grains.

If you were trained in different healing modalities (see below - YOU BE THE HEALER) you could help by using Reiki, T-Touch, HTA, flower essences, supplements, homeopathy and more. I am giving multiple suggestions because only some may be available in your area, and each animal is unique, so what works with one does not work with all. This is the joy of holistic approaches - we have dozens of things to try, while conventional has merely a few.
1. Even before you are trained in Reiki, you can ask for this energy healing that cannot hurt and may help (See REIKI, below, for web sites to request healing).
2. Mitomax is a super probiotic that can improve nutrient absorption, so helps with all problems. I have had many animals' itchiness clear up while using this, though sometimes they need to stay on it. Unlike other probiotics, it is very stable and is ok at the low stomach pH.
3. Rescue remedy from the health food store. Buy the people one, not the pet one. Put one drop in a separate water bowl. Put 10 drops in a cup of water and rinse hot spots or itchy areas with it. Put 4 drops in an ounce of water in a jar and give a few drops in every meal and every few hours in between. You cannot use it too often. It is totally safe. It is great for people too - for anxiety, stress, shock, grief and more.
4. Skin Soothe from www.SpiritEssences.com. Flower essences are totally safe and can be used as long and as frequently as they seem to help. Remember that using a journal will help you figure out what is helping the most.  Other flower essence companies have combinations for animals include Anaflora.com; GreenHopeEssences.com; petessence.com. Many other companies with single remedies can help you select essences. They are totally safe.
5. Anxiety Wrap (http://www.crvetcenter.com/bodywrap.htm) - uses an ace bandage to calm the dog so the itching may stop.
6. Derma Strength (http://christinachambreau.com/product-overviews - VetriScience) is a nutritional supplement that can be used long term.
7. Dr. Dobias has seen many itchy faces, feet and ears resolve when collars are eliminated and harnesses with chest/leash attachments used.

You are not alone in being short of money right now. There are many ways you can find money to treat your cherished animals. Some veterinarians, especially integrative ones, will be willing to barter with you. What skills do you have? Can you clean their parking lot, sidewalk, clinic? Are you a bookkeeper or accountant? Are you great with the internet and able to help them build a web site? Could you get new clients for them? Call the veterinarian of your choice (especially an integrative one), ask to speak with the veterinarian and tell them your financial situation and that you would like to build up credit for future problems. Ask if they will take payment plans and think what you could offer as collateral. Ask if the clinic has its own fund to help those in need. Call multiple veterinarians, especially integrative clinics.  Also, many cities have humane societies and other groups that can help with medical bills, rabies vaccines, spay and neuters. You can also save significant money by following the following holistic approaches - do not vaccinate and find local sources of free food ingredients. This will take some time and research, then will be easy and inexpensive.

The very best would be to find an integrative veterinarian with whom to work, even if the skin clears up without drugs. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you. Many practitioners are members of only one or two of the organizations, so you do need to go to every site to find who is near you:
1. Wide range of other treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org.   ther are not a lot in Kentucky, so do look at any states near you.
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com.
3. Chiropractic and Osteopathic - www.animalchiropractic.org; http://equineosteopathy.org/ (they treat dogs, too)
4. TCVM (Acupuncture and Chinese medicine): www.IVAS.org, www.aava.org & www.TCVM.com
5. Herbal - www.VBMA.org

It is possible to have more severe endocrine problems causing this, or mange mites, so if my suggestions do not help within another month or if your dog does not want to eat or has less energy, you will have to get some veterinary help, hopefully holistic.

FREE REIKI:
Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner offers this energy and the animal comes over to get it (or places her hands upon the animal), or it can be done from a distance, even around the world with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who began to eat again when their food was treated with Reiki. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Reiki is great to calm animals, relieve discomfort, and can deeply heal some problems in some animals.  

1. Great information on Reiki - http://www.reikicourse.org.
2. Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven www.brighthaven.org. Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals. http://www.animalreikisource.com/.

3. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), the following groups offer long distance, free, attunements.

a.   http://theholisticcare.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13,
b.   http://freereikiattunement.com/
c.   Christine at cbearse@earthlink.net, www.awakeningrainbows.com. To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.
d.   And a team of over 100 healers will send free healing energy until you say not to. Email Barbara at nancelot01@aol.com with your healing request, name of animal, species, color & age. In the subject say request through Dr. Chambreau

Get a free treatment for yourself at www.interdimensionalhealing.com.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau