Ask the Veterinarian/cat hurt paw

Question
I have a cat that just showed up a year ago. It was just a kitten. I live in the country. We feed him 2x daily. He will not come inside. He lets you pet him but if you try to pick him up he runs. I noticed a couple of days ago that his front left paw is injured. It is slightly swollen (no puncture marks) so he was not in a fight.
He must have landed on it improperly. Since he will not allow us to pick him up, is there some time of home remedy we can give him? I feel so bad for him. He still gets around on 3 paws and has not hurt his appetite. Please I need your input!!! Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.

Kathi
Cat lover

Answer
Yes he was most likely bit in a fight, especially if he isn't neutered. You won't always see the puncture wounds.

What he needs is antibiotics and to be neutered. You can borrow a safe-trap from your local humane society or animal control and trap him.

Then you can get him to the vet. Once they knock him out to neuter him they can treat his paw.
Make sure you tell them to give him a long acting antibiotic injection since you cannot give him pills.

There are no home remedies to help with this unfortunately. He will continue to get into fights, get bit if he isn't neutered. He can even get leukemia from being bit. Leukemia is fatal to cats. He is also at risk for FIV (Feline Immuno-suppresant Virus, FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis) and other viruses that are transmitted sexually and from fighting. FIV and FIP are fatal virues.

So please get him trapped, neutered, vaccinated and his little footy treated.
I know it's easier said than done but it is doable! You will be helping him and lowering the feral cat population at the same time. :-)

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT