Ask the Veterinarian/cats diarrhea

Question
My cats has diarreha and has had it for a couple weeks... Around the time she started having diarrhea i noticed she had got into a pan of cooking oil. She has also been treated for worms. There is no vomiting and shes eating and drinking normal and shes playful.... What could it be and how can i fix it....

Answer

Diarrhea that doesn't go away after two days most definitely needs to be looked at by a vet.
There are many, many causes of diarrhea.  
She could have picked up some parasites other than worms, such as coccidia or giardia, which worm treatments won't work for.

She might have gastritis, which is inflammation of the gut. It can cause diarrhea and even bloody stools.

What kind of cat food does she eat? Cats often become sensitive to the garbage they put in grocery store foods. If the vet doesn't find anything else going on with her I would rethink what you feed her if she is on anything from the store. She should be on a high quality food such as Science Diet Indoor cat or Sensitive stomach if she does this frequently. If not, just the Adult food in Ideal Balance or Healthy Advantage are the best foods you can buy.

My three are on Ideal Balance which has no grains and no dyes. They LOVE it and they all have thick, soft, shiny coats.

But they must first rule out any other medical problems that might be causing this.
If it was the oil, the diarrhea would have stopped after 2-3 days at the most.

I would make an appointment and get her in as soon as you can. Try to bring a very fresh sample with you of the diarrhea to your appointment.

Good luck and I hope she recovers quickly!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT