Ask the Veterinarian/diatomeceous earth to prevent bed bugs, safe for cats in home

Question
I have two cats, and I am a volunteer English as a Second Language teacher. I am planning to teach English to some students in my home.  These students come from communities where bedbugs are common.  I have wall-to-wall carpeting. The cats’ fleas are controlled by Advantage, so I don't need help with fleas.  I do not have bed bugs and don't want to get them. I heard that diatomeceous earth kills bed bugs and I bought a 4 # bag and a hand duster to apply it with.  I plan to coat the carpet with the DE and brush it in, so that the powder sinks to the carpet pad instead of staying on top of the carpet yarn.  The areas of carpet that are close to the walls can remain un-vacuumed after I apply the DE. The DE that I purchased does not identify itself as "food grade" but it does say it kills bed bugs.  Can you comment on my plan?  I'm mainly interested in killing any bedbugs that my students might happen to carry in on their clothes or in their books and school materials, while not endangering my cats in any way.  I'm worried about what might happen if the cats get some on their paws and lick it off.  Thank you.

Answer
Dear Lana,
My opinion will be to use food grade DE,if used indoors.The non food grade can cause irritation of the mucosa and hence will be disturbing to people with asthma and sinusitis.Use face mask while applying.Food grade DE is even used to deworm  pets,hence safe.

regards
anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand