Ask the Veterinarian/lactating 8 yr old Lhasa Apso

Question
Hi Dr Anand, I have an 8 year old Lhasa Apso. She is unspayed.I groomed her on Saturday, and my daughter noticed dirt around her nipples so she was messing with them trying to take it off. Today, I came home from work and she is lactating, also when I stand her up it seems like her abdomen is slightly distended. She has had one litter, they are 3 yrs old. And that was the only time she was bred. I have been meaning to take her in to get spayed, and just havent done it yet. We have 2 of her pups in the home also, a neutered male, spayed female. The are all allowed outside daily in the chainlink fenced yard, and are supervised, however they have been out alone maybe 10-15 mins at a time on occasion. She was last in heat approximately 5 wks ago. She has an appointment on Friday afternoon at the vet...but until then i am scared. She is too old to go thru a pregnancy, is it possible my daughter stimulated her lactation while cleaning her?  Thank you so much for any help you can give.

Answer
Dear Lori,

It is not clear whether she has had any contacts with other dogs to get pregnant.The only animals in contact were her 3 year old litter,that too neutered.So the chances of getting pregnant can be ruled out.
As it is lactating now,it requires a thorough  examination to find out the cause. Sometimes pseudo pregnancies(False pregnancy is a term used to denote a common condition in a non-pregnant female dog that is showing symptoms of pregnancy)also can cause same symptoms.Hence I request you to be patient till Friday  for appointment with your vet.

regards
anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand